Number 86 Quilt






     My kiddos have had some pretty snazzy t-shirts over the years.  A while back, I thought it would be neat to use the design on a single t-shirt as the centerpiece of a quilt.  Whenever I go shopping, I'm always on the lookout for unique designs.  I've made a few of these quilts now and you can see the ones I've finished by clicking on the label "t-shirt series" at the bottom of this post.

     The t-shirt was the starting point for choosing the color scheme for this quilt.  I really liked the color combination in the design, but felt that it needed to be lighter and happier.  So I used lots of white for the background.

     I had an issue with the quilting on this one.  The thread in my machine kept shredding and breaking.  I thought it could be the needle, but it wasn't.  Then I tweaked the tension and gave the machine a good cleaning, but that wasn't it either.  I finally discovered that the spool of thread was wound so tight on one end that it would catch and the thread would break.  I've never run into that before and I'm surprised because it came from a reputable company that sells top quality threads.  After changing out the spool, everything worked fine. 

     The backing includes a light blue piece of super soft, fuzzy fabric leftover from another project.  It was just the right size to go across the quilt, but not large enough to cover it completely.  But that's okay, it gave me opportunity to improvise.  The quilt was finished off with a brown cotton for the binding.        









The Wrap Up

Name:  Number 86
Size:  43 1/2" x 43 1/2"
Top Pieces:  271
Batting:  100% cotton
Finished:  February 2020


Comments

Popular Posts