Whirligigs






     This was my first whirligig quilt.  It was also the first time I tried spiral quilting.  It turned out pretty well, but I had so many puckers in the process it wasn't funny.  There was a lot of unstitching going on.  I haven't done any spiral quilting since.




     I really like the colors in this quilt.  If I were ever to part with it, it would have to be under very special circumstances.  There is a particular fabric in this quilt that came from a skirt I bought as a teenager.  I was 15 years old, I had a real job and I bought the skirt with my own money.   I know it probably sounds silly now, but it was a big deal.  I wore that skirt for almost a decade.

     In time, the skirt was looking too old and faded to wear.  The colors were still pretty, though, and the memories were good, so I hung on to it.  It got phased out of the closet, stuffed in a box of fabric, and eventually made its way into this quilt.  Can you guess which one it is?






Quilt Stats

Name:  Whirligigs
Size:  41 1/2" x 51 3/4"
Top pieces:  160
Back:  Cotton sheet
Batting:  100% cotton
Finished:  2013


Comments

Popular Posts