Blue Rails




     This is a slightly wonky version of the Rail Fence pattern.  I don't know what it is about these kinds of quilts, but the more fabrics you throw in, the better they get.  







     I used blues in every shade, light to dark, and mixed in various patterns.  I love a good blend of florals, stripes, plaids, polka dots, and solids.  But, I should specify that the only time it's good to mix patterns like that is in quilt making.  It does not work in clothing styles.  😉

     One of my favorite prints in this quilt is the one with a lot of white in the pattern (in the photo below).  It used to be a Hawaiian shirt that my son wore when he was just a little guy.  There are a lot of upcycled fabrics in this quilt.  







     I had this gray fabric in my stash for quite some time.  It was kinda' stretchy and I can't remember where it came from.  But, I liked the small lines and always thought it could make a nice border.






     This cut of palm tree fabric wasn't large enough for the whole back, so I surrounded it with some leftover pieces of a vintage sheet.  




     The quilting is an overall meander.  The binding is scrappy, which is my favorite kind.










Quilt Stats

Name:  Blue Rails
Size:  67" x 61"
Top Pieces:  459
Batting:  100% cotton
Binding:  Scrappy
Finished:  2017


Comments

Popular Posts