Dreamin' of Hawaii Quilt


    I have an affinity for Hawaiian shirts.  As soon as I learned that Nate and his new bride were going to Hawaii for their honeymoon, I had the idea to make this quilt.  Each of these large blocks used to be a Hawaiian shirt.  


     There are some fabrics that are just not meant for the cutting mat.  




     These tropical prints need room to display their lovely flowers and unique scenes.  When I saw the Craftsman Quilt Pattern, I knew it would be perfect for these fabrics.  This pattern gives those larger prints plenty of space to show off.  The pattern also allows for some smaller blocks, which kind of remind me of snapshots.  I had to make some minor modifications to the pattern to allow for the various sizes of the shirts.  I also made the sashing wider. 

     For the back of the quilt, I used three large cuts of fabric and when I laid it out, it was kind of blah, just very plain.  Before starting this quilt, I had been making card trick blocks for another quilt.  Since I was in that mode, I decided to make a row of them to dress up the back of this quilt.  They did a nice job of pulling the red, blue and green together.


   

    
 
     I created a custom post card label for the quilt that was addressed to the couple and offered our best wishes for a happy marriage.  



The quilting was an overall meander.  The binding was made from the leftovers of the Hawaiian shirts and other coordinating fabrics.  

         It's been a few years since this quilt was given to the happy couple (2015).  I hope they're still Dreamin' of Hawaii.  


   


     Aloha!

Comments

Popular Posts