Rag Quilts


     I love rag quilts!





They are so warm!  I've made dozens of them in every size large to small.  But, I have to confess that I don't really like making them.  It's because I mostly use denim and I've always had difficulty limiting my palette to one color.





     But, I love how they turn out.  Those seams are just begging you to run your hand over them.  These blankets are fun for toddlers because they provide an opportunity for a little one to use his (or her) sense of touch.  Even if you're not a small child, it's fun to play with the raggy texture of these blankets.






    When I make a rag quilt, I try to mix it up with various fabrics and colors. 





But, we go through jeans like crazy, so I always have a growing pile of denim in my sewing room.  When it becomes an obstacle, I start cutting into it. 





     There are many ways to make a rag quilt and there are gobs of tutorials out there.  You can use almost any kind of fabric for a rag quilt.  The first ones I ever saw were made from denim.  But, you can also use cotton, flannel, twill, any fabric that will fray when washed.














 

    I don't normally add batting to my rag quilts.  I don't like how stiff they feel with it.  I sometimes use denim by itself, just the one layer.  The fewer layers you put into a denim quilt, the more pliable it will be.  In other words, it will be easier to tuck around someone.  And denim is thick enough by itself to still make decently frayed seams.

     But, denim by itself can be cold.  So, to warm things up, I often add a layer of flannel.  It's thin and adds a buffer of warmth to the denim and a lot of fluff to the fraying seams.  Don't you just love the texture in those seams?!











     If you'd like to make your own rag quilt, do it!  It's simple and an easy way to dip your toes into the quilting pond.  Don't be afraid to give it a go, it's really hard to mess one up.




      Until next time!


   

Comments

Popular Posts