Making "New" Outdoor Furniture Cushions

     This year we were in desperate in need of new cushions for the porch.  We have 4 chairs and a loveseat and the cushions we had were years old and worn out.  Early in the season, we spent some time pricing new cushions at all the big stores, hoping to catch a sale.  But before we knew it, summer had come upon us and we hadn't found anything worthy of the inflated prices out there.  If we had purchased the ones we wanted, ones with thicker foam, then we would have spent over $400 on new cushions.  Ouch!  

     I thought we could save money if I made the cushions myself, but I found the foam to be crazy expensive.  So then I started looking for previously owned outdoor cushions.  I found quite a few, but they were all the wrong size or too old, and some people must think they have gold to sell.  During the search, though, I came across a listing for a free sofa.



     I thought, "If I can just grab an old sofa, then I can reuse the cushions and save hundreds of dollars!"  

     Well, I found a whole set of free furniture nearby.  



     It looked like it was a really nice set at one time, but when I got it, it was old, dirty, and covered in cat hair. 😝  The cushions, however, looked to be in good shape and that's all I was after.

     I tore the furniture apart and found that the foam was in great shape underneath the dirty exterior.  The fabric was thick enough that it protected the foam from most of the dirt & pet hair.  I loaded the cushions onto the truck so I could take them home and clean them up. 

     I used a sanitizing detergent and a power washer and soaked the cushions.  I let them sit for a while so the sanitizer could do it's work.  Then I rinsed really, really well.  After that, I let them sit in the sun for several days to dry.  Thankfully, we had really nice weather for it; sunny with temps in the upper 70's to mid-80's.  

     After two days, I checked on the cushions and found that they were still damp.  While I waited for them to dry, I washed the batting that covered the foam. 


     I was going to buy new fabric for this project, but instead used some outdoor fabric that I'd stashed away.  I bought it on clearance a few years ago to redo the cushion on an outdoor swing.  Something happened to the swing, though, and I never did make the cushion for it.  It wasn't my color of choice for the porch, but when I showed it to Hubs, he approved saying, "I love it!  It's bright and happy."

     When I measured the fabric on the bolt, though, it wasn't enough to complete the cushions. 😞  I needed nine yards and there wasn't quite six.  So, I took a trip to the fabric store and found some coordinating fabric to use around the edges of the cushions ("boxing", I think they call it).

     When I had finally gathered all the materials together, I started sewing.  I had enough foam and fabric for 4 seats cushions, but didn't have any piping.  There I was at the fabric store and forgot all about it. 😒  I improvised and used baling twine as a substitute. 😏  Hey, it's used outdoors!  

     When it came to cutting the foam, I just used a really sharp utility knife.  It wasn't a perfect edge, but it did well enough.

     The first cushion cover I completed did not turn out well.  The corners were messy, the piping was wonky, and it hung too far over the edge of the chair.  I had to trim the foam back by another three inches.  I also had to watch some videos before tackling the next cover.  I can't tell you how many times I've turned to YouTube for help.  I am so grateful for all the video tutorials out there!  For years, I've called it YouTube University because it's like going to college only I don't have to pay the tuition.  I've learned so much from all of those people who love to teach.  Thank you!!!  In this situation, seeing how they did their box cushion corners was a huge help. 

      After making the bottom cushions, I had to figure out what to do for the back cushions.  You'd think there would have been enough foam in all that furniture, but I only had enough foam for the four bottom cushions.  All that was left was a few smaller pieces of foam and the pillow fluff.  So I tried to make a large pillow for the back, but. . .

     Eh.  The pillow was too small and it just didn't sit well with me. 😄  Plus, the bottom cushion was tailored and I thought the back cushion should be made the same way.  So, I went in search of another free sofa and brought this home: 

     I started over with the whole process of cleaning and sanitizing the foam which took several days.  But here's what the new back cushions look like:

     So much better, don't you think?! 😃  

     Even though I took apart another sofa, there still wasn't enough foam to finish this project. 😩   I was able to piece together a back cushion for the loveseat from the leftovers, but I still need one more large piece to finish.  I've gotten this far but haven't been able to find any more free furniture close to home.  Until I find another homeless sofa, the loveseat sits empty.


 

The Wrap Up

Project:  New Outdoor Furniture Cushions

Materials:  Outdoor fabric, recycled foam, recycled batting

Started:  May 19, 2023

Finished:  Incomplete:  waiting on more foam


Comments

Popular Posts