Polynesian Punch




     This quilt was yeeeeaaarrrs in the making.  I remember cutting the squares and sewing on the white frames and after that I lost interest.  The blocks sat in a pile for years.  I shuffled the pile around from place to place, but there they sat.  

     One day, I was digging through the stash and found this blue, watery fabric.  


     There wasn't a lot of it, but I thought there could be enough for the sashing.  I ended up having to stretch it by adding in some other blue as cornerstones and a couple of small strips at the top and bottom.  

     After the quilt top was completed, it sat a few years more.  I finally began to think it absurd for it to sit unfinished for so long and pushed myself to complete it.  Now that it's done, I love it!  But, I tell ya, it was one of those quilts that just didn't have any zing while in the making.  




     One problem that kept me from finishing was that I didn't have the right fabric to back it.  Seems like that shouldn't have been much of a problem, right?  But, we don't live near any quilt shops or fabric stores and whenever I went shopping, I wouldn't remember that I needed to pick something out.  I did eventually find some fabric that had a Polynesian flavor to it and I combined it with some leftover blocks from the top.  The back turned out so beautifully that it was too good to put on the back of this quilt.  So, instead of creating a backing, I ended up with another quilt top to finish. 😕

     I finally settled on a plain, navy blue for the back, which turned out to be just right.


     For the quilting, I chose a contrasting lime green thread for the top and navy blue for the  back.    


     Finished off with a two-color binding.  



Quilt Stats
Name: Polynesian Punch
Size:  75 3/4" x 55 1/8"
Top pieces:  217
Batting:  mid-loft poly
Finished:  2018


Comments

Popular Posts