Little Ballerinas




     My tween daughter wanted to buy some fabric.  Who am I to deny a budding quilter her fabric?  But, as with many things, children quickly lose interest and move on to the next thing.  I later found her fabric lying on the floor, abandoned.  This happened a few times before I quit giving it back to her and stashed it with my fabrics.  She didn't seem to miss it, so I put it to use.  

     The little ballerinas dancing around the fabric were my starting point for choosing the colors. 


     I chose a pattern with triangles and included a little surprise in the patchwork.  Did you notice the turquoise triangles?  There are several, but one is special.  It's fuzzy!  I only had a small bit of the fuzzy fabric left after a previous project and I was able to cut one triangle for the quilt top and one for the matching pillow.  



     While I mostly use good quality cottons, I sometimes include unique materials in my quilts.  My first quilt was made from my daughter's outgrown clothes which included a lot of knits.  And ever since, I've been using anything that strikes my fancy including knits, poly-blends, fleece, minky, silk and even rayon.  I love experimenting with all kinds of fabrics and textures.  

     A good way to get a taste of working with various textures is by adding just a little bit of something different into your patchwork.  It doesn't take long to know whether or not it's something you want to work with again.  In the quilt design, it's likely that no one will notice the odd piece from a distance.  But, when they get up close, that one unique patch will be a small, but fun discovery.

     For the back, I used a light pink vintage sheet.  It was quilted with light pink thread and bound with a gray polka dot.  Bright and happy, don't you think?





Quilt Stats

Name:  Little Ballerinas
Size:  32"x42"
Top pieces:  124
Back:  vintage sheet
Batting:  low-loft poly
Pillow:  9 1/2" x 9 1/2"
Finished:  2016



Comments

Popular Posts